Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Ghosts.  (Read 7479 times)

Offline Raunky

Re: Ghosts.
« Reply #30 on: May 22, 2011, 06:38:50 PM »
First of all, there is no reason to believe that ghosts reside in the fourth dimension. Second, spacetime is governed by the laws of physics. The force of gravity has been proven to have an effect on spacetime. So therefore, if ghosts are hiding in the fourth dimension would have to preside by the laws of physics as we know them.

Offline Holy

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 04:42:00 AM »
First of all, there is no reason to believe that ghosts reside in the fourth dimension. Second, spacetime is governed by the laws of physics. The force of gravity has been proven to have an effect on spacetime. So therefore, if ghosts are hiding in the fourth dimension would have to preside by the laws of physics as we know them.

There is perfectly good reasoning to not even believe, but acknowledge the possibility extreme likelihood that supernatural beings exist and reside in the fourth (or higher) dimension. It explains so much of what they are capable of doing and how they behave. Here is an analogy presented by a very intelligent author whom I can't recall the name:
The 2nd dimension is a flat plane, say we have Mr. Square and Mr. Sphere of the 3rd dimension. Mr. Square hears a voice saying, "Hey, square!" Mr. Square has no idea where the voice is coming from. Mr. Sphere says, "Up here!" Mr. Square looks left and right and see nothing. Then Mr. Sphere says, "Let me come to you." So Mr. Sphere lowers himself on Mr. Square's plane. When Mr. Square looks to his left, he sees a circle which starts small and then gets larger. Mr. Square is baffled and says, "How did you do that? You are a circle which gets smaller and bigger." Mr. Sphere replies, "In my world I can move up and down, unfortunately, you can only see one slice of me at a time because you live in the second dimension. In my world, I am a round sphere, not a circle."

The point of that story is that we are the squares. We can only see one slice of the 4th dimension at a time as the square could only see one slice of the sphere at a time. In the 4th dimension, time does not exist because we see all of our personal individual existence at once. Notice how ghosts only haunt places they have been to in their life? They are bounded by where they have been, however, they are not bounded by the time in which they visited that place. Thus, they are able to haunt any place they have been to at any given time.

The second point of all that I said is that gravity cannot effect something which does not exist. The limitation of time is non-existent in the fourth dimension. Gravity can effect, and you are absolutely right, time as Einstein discovered upon observing space, but only in the first three dimensions.

--------Separate Thought Process For Fun---------
If you want to get into the fifth dimension, I think the next limitation to get overcome is experiencing only our personal experience. The only way we may perceive the fourth dimension is through death. That would transcend our souls to a higher dimension and eliminate time. Our bodies are a prison keeping our souls in the third dimension. Our souls are of another, higher, dimension. Recall how I brought up ghosts being "bounded by where they have been." This is because we can only recall what we have experienced ourselves. Now, taking it a step further, that sounds like a limitation to me.

If you haven't noticed, there is a pattern. Each dimension exceeds a prior dimension's limitation (refer to my last post for an example.) This is to say that there is another limitation to exceed in the fourth dimension which has been exceeded in the fifth dimension. Probability suggests that this next limitation is only knowing what you have experienced. In the fifth dimension, it is possible that this limitation is exceeded and we are then able to recall things from other being's experiences. That is right, a being or many beings who share a unified collection of experiences would be a candidate for the fifth dimension. This also improves the likelihood of deities and explanation of their powers.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2011, 04:42:00 AM »

Offline (=CG=) DoomBringerDANTE

« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2011, 01:09:26 PM »
Here is the problem we cant know if ghosts exsist or not, there is proof they exsist but the evidence is questionabe. AKA: Occult Tomes, Lore, Personal accounts and the recorded video evidence (Taps and stuff). You can't say they don't exsist because thats an opinion, if you still insist on saying they don't exsist then bring actual proof they do not exsist.

First off, you said it yourself, the "evidence" is questionable. If ghosts were such a common phenomenon, they would have been properly explained by now, or a legitimate theory of how they could exist, when being in direct violation of the laws of this universe, would have been formed.

Now for your proposed evidence of occult tomes and lore, neither are factual. If you believe that an occult book is proof for existence of ghosts, then logically, every other creature detailed in that book would exist, and obviously that is crazy. Lore is also not proof. Lore is traditional and anecdotal "knowledge.' Implying that stories written by people hundreds of years ago can be used to explain a phenomenon still experienced is not logical. That argument implies that someone that lived hundreds of years ago had a deeper understanding of science and nature than we have now, and that is a ridiculous stance to take.
Personal accounts, are obviously not legitimate evidence, either. Anyone can make up an story about how they heard a strange noise and just assume that it was a ghost, when a much more logical explanation exists.

Photo and video evidence cannot be trusted either, because of how simple it is to put ghostly images on film. There's this neat little trick called double exposure that puts ghostly images on film, and has been a very popular trick used by photographers to create ghosts in photos. This is the technique used to create most of the famous photographed ghosts.

Now, if you would listen to reason just for a moment, instead of living in your fantasy world, you would also see that the laws of physics dictates that ghosts are an impossibility. Common ghost stories say that ghosts can walk and move objects, while at the same time being able to go through solid objects. This violates Newton's second law of physics, that every action has an equal and opposite reaction. They exert forces onto objects, yet they can pass through others. They cannot go from a state of being able to effect the physical world and not having any effect.
Now, if you use the argument that they can create "ectoplasm"(a nonexsistant substance) to interact with their environment, that is violating another law of physics by creating matter from nothing.

Everything we know about nature and science is in direct conflict with proposed "knowledge" of ghosts.

Now that that's out of the way, care to tell me why you believe in ghosts, or perhaps show me some evidence of their existence that you might have?

Can't believe I wrote all that for a guy who will probably refuse to listen to logic and come up with a terrible, terrible counterargument as to why legitimate science is wrong and why his baseless claims are correct.

Good job taking what I posted out of context. I said any evidence is questionable: Videos can be forged, occult tomes tend to be entire bull shit, same with lore and personal experiences can be bull shited too. All I was stating is there is no way to know for sure if they do or don't exsist.
Now the question for this topic was: Do you believe they exsist?
 I believe they do and my view shall not change.

http://wiki.white-wolf.com/worldofdarkness/index.php?title=Malkavian
Quotes From/About Malkavians:
"Hee, hee! Watch it squirm! Now poke out its eyes!" - the last words heard by a victim of a Malkavian connoisseur.------
"When a Malkavian speaks, listen.  When a Malkavian acts, leave. 
When two Malkavians gather, run."
-Gangrel, on Malkavians------
"When you find yourself falling into madness, dive!" Malkavian saying---

Offline crypto

« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2011, 06:03:48 PM »
I believe there's a family of miniature pink-skinned knife-juggling elephants on the roof of my house, but I can't prove it.

Offline Raunky

« Reply #34 on: May 23, 2011, 09:02:04 PM »
-snip-

-snip-

Saying that ghosts exist(in or out of a fourth dimension) is a pretty extraordinary claim, and extraordinary evidence is needed. You're trying to make a claim that something lives in a fourth dimension. If you believe that there are beings that reside in the fourth dimension, why not believe that there are creatures that live in the second dimension as well? We would be able to perceive them, but we have found none.(That one Star Trek episode doesn't count. >_>)

As for your haunting argument, show me evidence of a well documented haunting. Some of the most famous examples, like the Amityville Horror, Borley Rectory, and the Bell Witch all have been shown to be false and stories created to sell books.

Also, the anecdote you used was used by Carl Sagan to explain the concept of dimensions.

As for Doombringer, I didn't take your post out of context. You said it was questionable, I said that it was unusable. Also, this is the debate forum, not the post your opinion and leave it at that forum. You also say that we have no way to prove that they don't exist, which is true of any creature or entity, but if they did exist we can prove it, however seeing as there is no evidence, it is much more logical to say that they don't exist.

Offline Blood

« Reply #35 on: May 23, 2011, 09:08:52 PM »
I believe there's a family of miniature pink-skinned knife-juggling elephants on the roof of my house, but I can't prove it.

Offline crypto

« Reply #36 on: May 23, 2011, 11:20:56 PM »

Offline Holy

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2011, 02:58:36 PM »
WTF Mate? No reason to believe!
ABC's of Dimensions
Life in 2nd dimension? Evidence please! Btw Carl Sagan.

Thanks for clearing up the Author name. The 'haunting argument' wasn't really an argument. It was a thought process which could be right or could be wrong. I believe it because it makes a lot of sense and is certainly a candidate for testing. Unfortunately, until the technology present to the public is likely unable to measure the fourth dimension, I doubt concrete evidence can be given. So in the mean time, I wish to give proof through a logical thought process similar to mathematicians. That is, with the given knowledge of the topic, experiment with out of the box ideas to form a logical thought process (in comparison to a theorem) which is proven through testing. Since I don't have a lot of money, nor am I an electrical engineer yet I can't test/build much, this is unable to happen now. Later on in life I will certain make this my hobby since it is extremely interesting.

It's not so much that something lives in the fourth dimension. It's more that these beings exist in the fourth dimension. Life can, logically, only exist in the third dimension. In the second dimension, life cannot exist because it is just a single plane with a thickness which is comparable to 1 pixel on a computer. The smallest biological life form is unicellular. Unicellular beings are made up of molecules which are higher and lower than each other which entails the z-axis must come into play in order for life to happen. (Lol at the Star Trek comment.) In the first dimension, let's be frank here, there's no way in hell life could exist. That shouldn't need logical backing (though I will provide it if needed.)

With all that being said. Everything/everyone we see and don't see has the ability to exist so long as it's there in some way, shape, or form. Third dimensional bodies, plants, and the like are what live and are only what live (unless I haven't considered something else that lives.) The souls inside are what animate our movement. Ghosts are simply fourth dimensional beings which exist without inhabiting a living body of the third dimension.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 03:00:28 PM by Holy »

Offline Raunky

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2011, 03:30:41 PM »
Actually, muscles animate movement, not invisible life energy. >:C
I FEEL LIKE A FUCKING PARROT BECAUSE I WANNA SAY PROOF OF SOUL PLZ.
But at least parrots are cute.  parrot

In response to the next post you make: proof plz.(Getting that out of the way, because that would have been my response more likely than not. Hooray for self parody.)

P.S. I also heard that the Loch Ness monster and Sasquatch live in the fourth dimension.

P.S.S This post is a messy. :<

Offline Senkai

« Reply #39 on: July 17, 2011, 02:38:04 AM »
Anything is possible if you dont believe anything is possible think about how big the universe is dawg its big

Offline CamperStrike

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 02:59:12 AM »
Well, I i had about 1 or 2 experiences in my life with "ghosts", but none confirmed to be really "ghosts", since I was young when those happened, and it wasn't something "impressive".
Cookies go here?

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #40 on: July 17, 2011, 02:59:12 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Careful what you post. Forum rules still apply in the shoutbox!
  • Finniespin: More of a Patrick Hernandez guy - Born to be Alive
    June 16, 2024, 09:14:27 AM
  • Sly: Aaron Hernandez was a legend of a man
    June 14, 2024, 01:46:02 AM
  • Finniespin: how? what?
    June 01, 2024, 06:28:43 PM
  • Inject OH 4: Lost my discord rip
    May 30, 2024, 12:14:57 AM
  • Finniespin: yoooooooo!
    April 03, 2024, 05:32:48 PM
  • Coreybush11: bump
    April 01, 2024, 10:59:48 PM
  • Finniespin: wut
    March 28, 2024, 05:01:26 PM
  • Inject OH 4: And yes thank you very much Finnie! You are a champion xP
    March 22, 2024, 05:59:12 PM
  • Inject OH 4: Hey abrys agreed we should.
    March 22, 2024, 05:59:02 PM
  • Finniespin: Totally not a spam-bot, also totally not a limited time offer
    March 03, 2024, 05:25:06 PM
  • Finniespin: Anyone looking for a datacenter technician job? We got postings available around US and Europe (EMEA)
    February 17, 2024, 07:23:12 AM
  • Finniespin: https://www.google.com/about/careers/applications/jobs/results/118336179041903302-data-center-technician-global-server-operations
    February 17, 2024, 07:20:25 AM
  • Finniespin: Gave Inject 50 euros to pay for fees ^^
    February 17, 2024, 07:17:42 AM
  • xXArbysOvenMittXx: we gotta get the crew together again one day and hang, add me on discord: ogarbies
    February 12, 2024, 06:52:07 PM
  • xXArbysOvenMittXx: yo who is still paying for this lol
    February 12, 2024, 06:19:47 PM
  • Klondor: wow CG still lives, mind blown
    February 09, 2024, 05:13:53 AM
  • Finniespin: The website is back online!!!
    February 06, 2024, 03:17:05 PM
  • Inject OH 4: xD
    January 14, 2024, 05:55:44 PM
  • Finniespin: Get a load of this guy
    December 16, 2023, 09:16:03 AM
  • Inject OH 4: Sure
    December 09, 2023, 07:22:27 PM
  • HailToTheKing: cum shot . and cum shot. an d cum shot
    December 01, 2023, 01:54:12 PM
  • Finniespin: ffuck
    November 24, 2023, 03:43:47 PM
  • Inject OH 4: ee
    October 12, 2023, 01:13:56 AM
  • Sly: dd
    August 09, 2023, 03:13:48 AM
  • Inject OH 4: cc
    August 03, 2023, 09:51:36 PM
  • Finniespin: bb
    August 02, 2023, 06:12:50 PM
  • Inject OH 4: aa
    July 04, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
  • Shikaru: Been a very long time
    February 20, 2023, 05:42:04 PM
  • Shikaru: Oh wow my account is STILL active :)
    February 20, 2023, 05:42:00 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: yooo we got a lovense sponsor???
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:43 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: holy shit
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:24 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: oh wow its still here
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:21 PM
  • HailToTheKing: legends never die
    October 16, 2022, 01:28:09 PM
  • Live Bait: Oh wow. Still remember my old password.
    September 23, 2022, 08:37:38 AM
  • Mr_Rainbow: Still alive. Hope all is well with everyone this Christmas
    December 09, 2021, 03:31:04 AM
  • SlyWilliam: Much love, from our MC server to our ZPS server <3
    December 07, 2021, 10:23:37 PM
  • SlyWilliam: For the record, I don't REALLY remember all of you, but goddamn do I MISS all of you <3
    December 07, 2021, 10:23:10 PM
  • Pyro: parrot
    September 07, 2021, 05:23:18 AM
  • Inject OH 4: Do you mean for people that haven't come on in a long time and have to reagree?
    August 02, 2021, 11:39:42 PM
  • Inject OH 4: I'm not sure what you mean. Could you be more specific?
    August 02, 2021, 11:38:54 PM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal