Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: What defines racism  (Read 9163 times)

Offline Holy

What defines racism
« on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:54 AM »
There is a lot of talk of what is racist and what isn't racist. To some people, simply saying someone's skin color is considered to be racist (I facepalm myself at those people.) What, in your opinion, is the true form of racism and why do you stand upon that viewpoint?

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• How does one maintain community when no power?
  • Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
    • View Profile
Re: What defines racism
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »
There's a fine line between stereotypes and racism. Racism is a hate towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians) People get kinda soft when it comes to stereotypes towards blacks although in American society black people sling around racial terms aimed at white folks all the time (cracker, cracka, and others) Making a "racist joke" is not really racism. Usually they are based off of generalized stereotypes of that race. aka black people being watermelon, kfc eaters with big lips and only like hip hop. Now these are untrue as I have seen black people listen to Screamo. I think I ran on a bit but anyways racism is what it is. HATING other races.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 05:40:05 AM »

Offline vinnylord

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 06:13:19 AM »
There's a fine line between stereotypes and racism. Racism is a hate towards a race. (jews, blacks, whites, asians) People get kinda soft when it comes to stereotypes towards blacks although in American society black people sling around racial terms aimed at white folks all the time (cracker, cracka, and others) Making a "racist joke" is not really racism. Usually they are based off of generalized stereotypes of that race. aka black people being watermelon, kfc eaters with big lips and only like hip hop. Now these are untrue as I have seen black people listen to Screamo. I think I ran on a bit but anyways racism is what it is. HATING other races.

exacly, its calling ppl names because they are an other race   
*blanc* WOOT WOOT

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 07:12:03 AM »
hey hey hey jews are not a race.... you can't be racist about something that is not a race...

if you are gonna punish any1 they have to talk about a race in a demeaning way if it is only for complete idiocy then just warn them that you do not want that kind of language in the server.

Offline Holy

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 07:28:55 AM »

I agree with your basic statement, racism is the hatred towards another race.

rac·ism? ?/?re?s?z?m/  Show Spelled[rey-siz-uhm]  Show IPA
–noun
1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

[Source: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/racism]

However, I strongly disagree with the common belief that simply saying the words "Nig·ger" or "Spic" for example are racist. Since "Nig·ger" seems to be the most commonly associated with racism I will argue using that as an example.

This is dictionary.com's definition of the word Nig·ger:

nig·ger
? ?/?n?g?r/ Show Spelled[nig-er] Show IPA
—Usage note
The term nig·ger  is now probably the most offensive word in English. Its degree of offensiveness has increased markedly in recent years, although it has been used in a derogatory manner since at least the Revolutionary War. Definitions 1a, 1b, and 2 represent meanings that are deeply disparaging and are used when the speaker deliberately wishes to cause great offense. Definition 1a, however, is sometimes used among African-Americans in a neutral or familiar way. Definition 3 is not normally considered disparaging—as in “The Irish are the nig·gers of Europe” from Roddy Doyle's The Commitments —but the other uses are considered contemptuous and hostile.

–noun
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive .
a.
a black person.
b.
a member of any dark-skinned people.
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

Alright, so far I have given you the definition of Racism and Nig·ger. First off, I want you to take a look at the three listings for the word Racism:

1. a belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others.
2. a policy, system of government, etc., based upon or fostering such a doctrine; discrimination.
3. hatred or intolerance of another race or other races.

As you can see, it says no where in that definition that simply calling someone a name or stating the obvious about a person is Racist. Saying a person is black is not racist. Why? I'm pretty sure they know they are black, they look in the mirror everyday to brush their teeth. You are simply stating the obvious. Now if you were to say "The black race should be exterminated off the face of the planet." Then you are racist according to result #3 of the term racism.

In the same scenario, say you are calling that same black person a "nig·ger" instead. Though it may be highly offensive to the person. It is still not racist, as a "nig·ger" can be someone of any race who shows a lack of intelligence or lives in what is considered a poor lifestyle. As the following quote states:

Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive . a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.

The point is, nig·ger is just as bad as calling someone a dumbass. It is no more than an insult meaning a lack of intelligence. It just so happens that one race fits the category more than others which is why it is commonly linked to that race. This, as unfortunate as it is, leads to the common misconception that saying the word "nig·ger" is racist. The fact that nig·ger appears as *DO NOT BE RACIST* on these forums and Spic isn't displayed that way is evidence enough that this common misconception truly is common.

You can be a black person and not be a nig·ger. On the flip side, you can be asian who is stupid or in poor standing and be a nig·ger. It all depends on the level of intelligence and social standing of the person.

It's kind of funny because whenever you call someone your ****, your calling your friend a poor dumbass.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 07:38:52 AM by Holy »

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:56:49 AM »
if you use the word in a demeening way i will mute you end of story-.- we cool?

Offline Holy

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 11:35:17 AM »
Jorgen, with all due respect, this is the debate forum not the rules section. Your ingame prefrences on administration has nothing to do with this debate. So no end of story. Please stop spamming and post relative posts to the debate like the sticky in this forum titled Debate Forum Rules says to do.   ;D
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:40:53 AM by Holy »

Offline crypto

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 01:03:10 PM »

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 03:47:50 PM »
really we just moderate racial slurs on the ttt server and more extreme bashing of race/gender
if they come on the server and simply say they dont like black people
tell them they shouldnt bring their political views into the server give them a warning
mainly this
if people are fighting about racial beliefs
tell them to stop and BE CLEAR YOU WILL TAKE ACTION if they dont stop and be assertive
show alot of restraint (not slurs just people talking calmly about their racial views)
but if they continue take action it is not a racial offense and can be anywhere from 5 min ban to 1 week ban

Offline Holy

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2010, 07:38:39 PM »
Again this is a debate topic about what you believe to be racism not how to enforce it on a server. x-x

Offline AlphaWeeaboo

• Commando
  • Banned!
  • 446 Credits
  • View Inventory
  • Send Credits/Gift
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 07:50:10 PM »
Rofl, yeah I was going to say something about that at first until I realized that this was in the debate forum.

G-man

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 02:29:51 AM »
In my honest (but disreputable) opinion, I believe racism has been blown (tenfold) out of proportion. Racist remarks are just another way of belittling someone and any impulsive actions enacted on people (influenced by hatred for a particular race) is simply ignorance and stupidity. Race is not something we should be divided by, but on the other hand it isn't something we should become overly sensitive about.

I'm a little racist sometimes (and that's just because I'm a conformist), but I don't go around openly practicing racism like an asshole.

What's wrong with a little levity, right? ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 06:43:31 PM by G-man »

Offline crypto

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 02:48:34 AM »
Hitchens: "There must be confrontation and opposition, in order that sparks may be kindled." Conformity is lame.

The funny thing about racism is that the flip of one little genetic switch is the difference between, for example, white and black skin. It's ridiculously superficial on not only a philosophical but also a scientific level.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 04:22:19 AM by crypto »

Offline Sejo Mino

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 03:53:09 AM »
Huh Where i Stand on this is.. i usually use alot of words like **** in my school to single out a sign of friendship then i call the regular black kids in my school by there names...XP

I Usually use alot of Stero Typein Remarks like Blacks Being Really Really good at Sports..StereoTypin.
Then Their is Racism like Telling a Black Man that they might steal something from the store. For some reason i cant tell why blacks eat chicken and why people tease them about it.
I come from a very weird town that when i go to the store all the white people look at me because of my skin color being a bit darker that i might steal something from them.

Offline crypto

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 04:22:55 AM »
Nothing inherently wrong with stereotypes. They tend to exist for a reason.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 04:22:55 AM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Careful what you post. Forum rules still apply in the shoutbox!
  • Pyro: happy birthday Tyber
    July 14, 2024, 01:55:16 PM
  • Finniespin: More of a Patrick Hernandez guy - Born to be Alive
    June 16, 2024, 09:14:27 AM
  • Sly: Aaron Hernandez was a legend of a man
    June 14, 2024, 01:46:02 AM
  • Finniespin: how? what?
    June 01, 2024, 06:28:43 PM
  • Inject OH 4: Lost my discord rip
    May 30, 2024, 12:14:57 AM
  • Finniespin: yoooooooo!
    April 03, 2024, 05:32:48 PM
  • Coreybush11: bump
    April 01, 2024, 10:59:48 PM
  • Finniespin: wut
    March 28, 2024, 05:01:26 PM
  • Inject OH 4: And yes thank you very much Finnie! You are a champion xP
    March 22, 2024, 05:59:12 PM
  • Inject OH 4: Hey abrys agreed we should.
    March 22, 2024, 05:59:02 PM
  • Finniespin: Totally not a spam-bot, also totally not a limited time offer
    March 03, 2024, 05:25:06 PM
  • Finniespin: Anyone looking for a datacenter technician job? We got postings available around US and Europe (EMEA)
    February 17, 2024, 07:23:12 AM
  • Finniespin: https://www.google.com/about/careers/applications/jobs/results/118336179041903302-data-center-technician-global-server-operations
    February 17, 2024, 07:20:25 AM
  • Finniespin: Gave Inject 50 euros to pay for fees ^^
    February 17, 2024, 07:17:42 AM
  • xXArbysOvenMittXx: we gotta get the crew together again one day and hang, add me on discord: ogarbies
    February 12, 2024, 06:52:07 PM
  • xXArbysOvenMittXx: yo who is still paying for this lol
    February 12, 2024, 06:19:47 PM
  • Klondor: wow CG still lives, mind blown
    February 09, 2024, 05:13:53 AM
  • Finniespin: The website is back online!!!
    February 06, 2024, 03:17:05 PM
  • Inject OH 4: xD
    January 14, 2024, 05:55:44 PM
  • Finniespin: Get a load of this guy
    December 16, 2023, 09:16:03 AM
  • Inject OH 4: Sure
    December 09, 2023, 07:22:27 PM
  • HailToTheKing: cum shot . and cum shot. an d cum shot
    December 01, 2023, 01:54:12 PM
  • Finniespin: ffuck
    November 24, 2023, 03:43:47 PM
  • Inject OH 4: ee
    October 12, 2023, 01:13:56 AM
  • Sly: dd
    August 09, 2023, 03:13:48 AM
  • Inject OH 4: cc
    August 03, 2023, 09:51:36 PM
  • Finniespin: bb
    August 02, 2023, 06:12:50 PM
  • Inject OH 4: aa
    July 04, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
  • Shikaru: Been a very long time
    February 20, 2023, 05:42:04 PM
  • Shikaru: Oh wow my account is STILL active :)
    February 20, 2023, 05:42:00 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: yooo we got a lovense sponsor???
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:43 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: holy shit
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:24 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: oh wow its still here
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:21 PM
  • HailToTheKing: legends never die
    October 16, 2022, 01:28:09 PM
  • Live Bait: Oh wow. Still remember my old password.
    September 23, 2022, 08:37:38 AM
  • Mr_Rainbow: Still alive. Hope all is well with everyone this Christmas
    December 09, 2021, 03:31:04 AM
  • SlyWilliam: Much love, from our MC server to our ZPS server <3
    December 07, 2021, 10:23:37 PM
  • SlyWilliam: For the record, I don't REALLY remember all of you, but goddamn do I MISS all of you <3
    December 07, 2021, 10:23:10 PM
  • Pyro: parrot
    September 07, 2021, 05:23:18 AM
  • Inject OH 4: Do you mean for people that haven't come on in a long time and have to reagree?
    August 02, 2021, 11:39:42 PM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal