Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Author Topic: Necroing Threads  (Read 2212 times)

Offline Lynxy

Necroing Threads
« on: January 02, 2012, 11:41:44 PM »
Yeah I seriously don't understand what the problem is, if you have something to input, say it, there shouldn't be admins on your back about it, and the reason I don't even bother looking to see if there is another thread about the exact same thing, is because I would get bugged for necroing it!

Offline Pillz

Re: Necroing Threads
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:12:08 AM »
I agree.

Since the forum is a never ending sea of threads we've made, we should be allowed to post on things if we're allowed to read it. If a thread isn't locked it should be fair game for posting.

If things were my way, necroing would be openly welcome, and locking would be very scarce. Spam will be spammed on new threads if it isn't on old ones, that is irrelevant. If you're going to be mad about spam, put in an anti-retarded post rule and I'll gladly help enforce it, then we can have thousands of threads open always and our forums will be more diverse and awesome and we'll start a new country and lead a new world.
This whole thing is a travesty.

For starters, Pillz is obviously the sexiest.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 04:12:08 AM »

Offline Doc. Mentalist S.

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 04:23:45 AM »
Talk to moderator > make the thread(s) stickied > problem solved?

Offline Pillz

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 04:33:10 AM »
I think they're never going to stop locking threads, and I believe we might start a system of autolocking after threads inactive for almost two months, I think three months would be better honestly, and after that someone can PM for a thread unlock, if they have a valid reason, the thread can be reopened and further discussed.

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 05:43:15 AM »
I think they're never going to stop locking threads, and I believe we might start a system of autolocking after threads inactive for almost two months, I think three months would be better honestly, and after that someone can PM for a thread unlock, if they have a valid reason, the thread can be reopened and further discussed.

We have yet to reach a conclusion but we were thinking about doing it as such

6-8 weeks before the thread will auto lock but this does not include stickies (such as post a pic of yourself and rules threads etc...)

it is still being discussed

if you have any input put it on this thread on the issue or pm me Cadaver or Inject

before the reasoning was that people would spam old threads from like a years or two ago and it wouldn't add to thread just say something 100% retarded like on a intro thread saying "hello" to someone who joined CG 2 years ago and hasn't been on in a year is frustrating (just an example)

Offline Jorgen

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »
There are some threads that you should avoid necroing those would obviously include admin discussions from way back and similar stuff. I don't think necroing a debate however is that bad.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 05:42:28 PM »

before the reasoning was that people would spam old threads from like a years or two ago and it wouldn't add to thread just say something 100% retarded like on a intro thread saying "hello" to someone who joined CG 2 years ago and hasn't been on in a year is frustrating (just an example)

Thing is, that's not a necro issue, that's a retarded post/spam problem. Like I've said if they aren't being retarded and useless in old threads they're doing it elsewhere.

Usually necro's seem perfectly harmless, they've posted rationally and on topic, then some one comes in and says "For fucks sake don't fucking necro shit, this is 3 months old ffs" or something angry and stupid, and will request for a lock. Which in my opinion is RETARDED. Technically, they're off topic and posts like that should get removed.

I wish we would remove necro rules altogether, and use locking very scarcely. For admin apps and other things that don't need to go on, but for general discussions, debates and music threads, we should never lock them. If things get out of hand, we can request locks but it shouldn't be something that's going to happen to every single thread.

What if I had a problem thread and nobody posted for 2 months, and then I have something important to add I figured out, but can't because it got locked. "Well make a new thread pillz" WHYY? I have the old one and it will update the people who've posted in its inbox when I post again, and we could keep talking. You'd rather me start the discussion all over again? It's so annoying and I've already done it several times.

I H8 IT.

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 06:13:41 PM »
If something really deserves to get necro'd after more that 3 months it should probably be stickied (unless it's a debate thread).
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Offline Wholegrain

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 06:24:39 PM »

Thing is, that's not a necro issue, that's a retarded post/spam problem. Like I've said if they aren't being retarded and useless in old threads they're doing it elsewhere.

Usually necro's seem perfectly harmless, they've posted rationally and on topic, then some one comes in and says "For fucks sake don't fucking necro shit, this is 3 months old ffs" or something angry and stupid, and will request for a lock. Which in my opinion is RETARDED. Technically, they're off topic and posts like that should get removed.

I wish we would remove necro rules altogether, and use locking very scarcely. For admin apps and other things that don't need to go on, but for general discussions, debates and music threads, we should never lock them. If things get out of hand, we can request locks but it shouldn't be something that's going to happen to every single thread.

What if I had a problem thread and nobody posted for 2 months, and then I have something important to add I figured out, but can't because it got locked. "Well make a new thread pillz" WHYY? I have the old one and it will update the people who've posted in its inbox when I post again, and we could keep talking. You'd rather me start the discussion all over again? It's so annoying and I've already done it several times.

I H8 IT.

The current plan is basically this

we are going to make it BOARD specific

Admin Applications board all non resolved admin threads should be locked by whoever is approving/denying so that board won't be touched

the others like announcements and bans etc.... will have a auto lock of 30 to 45 days excluding all stickies

boards like off topic and general discussion will probably not even be touched

Honestly this is the best possible compromise I can even think of

it allows for some control but very flexible

The problem up until now is that we don't have a large and active enough staff on the forums to sit there and sift through so many threads.  The problem is automation and that has been solved if this new policy gets implemented.

Offline Pillz

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
The current plan is basically this

we are going to make it BOARD specific

Admin Applications board all non resolved admin threads should be locked by whoever is approving/denying so that board won't be touched

the others like announcements and bans etc.... will have a auto lock of 30 to 45 days excluding all stickies

boards like off topic and general discussion will probably not even be touched

Honestly this is the best possible compromise I can even think of

it allows for some control but very flexible

The problem up until now is that we don't have a large and active enough staff on the forums to sit there and sift through so many threads.  The problem is automation and that has been solved if this new policy gets implemented.

Sounds good. Things like Admin applications and Announcements make sense, because it would be confusing to see such threads pop up in your "unread" box. Debates, Spam-box and General Discussion should be untouched forever, perhaps we should kind of.. reorganize the current forum setup? It's kind of chaotic now IMO.

For one, the "Rules" and "CG centered events" threads are almost useless, perhaps we could combine them into the "Announcements Events and Information" thread, knocking two extra's out of the way.

Perhaps we could get rid of the GIANT "CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR STEAM PAGE" nonsense now that we have it under our names now, or just move it somewhere more convenient and appropriate, like on the homepage.

PUT THE VENT ACTIVITY WIDGET ON THE HOME PAGE FOR FUCKS SAKE. What fucking use does it have being at the bottom of the forum list? It would be 100% more useful on the homepage. Not in the "WASTE AND ETC" section.

Having the CL and HA nomination boards seems a little extra, we could post such things in the announcement section.

Also, I don't think we have a machinma team anymore, it doesn't need a whole forum. Perhaps a "Machinimas" subforum under "CG Technical Area"?

Etc.

Offline Cortez (Mr. T. FOO!)

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »
The only reason that vent is down there is because you need to have an account to see it... But I do agree with just about everything pillz just said.
Does this look like a ball field to you sucka? This is a sandbox. For making sandcastles.

Post Count
A Novel by Inject OH 4
Conjoint Gaming
"You thought a Human Centipede was bad, wait till you get a load of us."
Bears, beer and bitches. That's everyone's motto.
Quote from: some guy on PC gamer
First of all, books were all but dead until tablets rejuvenated the industry
Quote from: Blazyd
Cortez I'm actually on black tar heroin fyi
Only been in it once didn't really pay attention to the staff, I think their was an eatable thong... but that may have been a totally different store, ANYWAYS... lol.
The plunger could simply be out of view, the pants + it's location behind the toilet may hide it... Or it's a fraud and we need to take down the system with out golden axes while destroying the rest of the demon-spawn so that we may live in a utopia.

Conjoint Gaming [Game On]

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 09:24:11 PM »

* ShoutBox!

Refresh History
  • Careful what you post. Forum rules still apply in the shoutbox!
  • Finniespin: More of a Patrick Hernandez guy - Born to be Alive
    June 16, 2024, 09:14:27 AM
  • Sly: Aaron Hernandez was a legend of a man
    June 14, 2024, 01:46:02 AM
  • Finniespin: how? what?
    June 01, 2024, 06:28:43 PM
  • Inject OH 4: Lost my discord rip
    May 30, 2024, 12:14:57 AM
  • Finniespin: yoooooooo!
    April 03, 2024, 05:32:48 PM
  • Coreybush11: bump
    April 01, 2024, 10:59:48 PM
  • Finniespin: wut
    March 28, 2024, 05:01:26 PM
  • Inject OH 4: And yes thank you very much Finnie! You are a champion xP
    March 22, 2024, 05:59:12 PM
  • Inject OH 4: Hey abrys agreed we should.
    March 22, 2024, 05:59:02 PM
  • Finniespin: Totally not a spam-bot, also totally not a limited time offer
    March 03, 2024, 05:25:06 PM
  • Finniespin: Anyone looking for a datacenter technician job? We got postings available around US and Europe (EMEA)
    February 17, 2024, 07:23:12 AM
  • Finniespin: https://www.google.com/about/careers/applications/jobs/results/118336179041903302-data-center-technician-global-server-operations
    February 17, 2024, 07:20:25 AM
  • Finniespin: Gave Inject 50 euros to pay for fees ^^
    February 17, 2024, 07:17:42 AM
  • xXArbysOvenMittXx: we gotta get the crew together again one day and hang, add me on discord: ogarbies
    February 12, 2024, 06:52:07 PM
  • xXArbysOvenMittXx: yo who is still paying for this lol
    February 12, 2024, 06:19:47 PM
  • Klondor: wow CG still lives, mind blown
    February 09, 2024, 05:13:53 AM
  • Finniespin: The website is back online!!!
    February 06, 2024, 03:17:05 PM
  • Inject OH 4: xD
    January 14, 2024, 05:55:44 PM
  • Finniespin: Get a load of this guy
    December 16, 2023, 09:16:03 AM
  • Inject OH 4: Sure
    December 09, 2023, 07:22:27 PM
  • HailToTheKing: cum shot . and cum shot. an d cum shot
    December 01, 2023, 01:54:12 PM
  • Finniespin: ffuck
    November 24, 2023, 03:43:47 PM
  • Inject OH 4: ee
    October 12, 2023, 01:13:56 AM
  • Sly: dd
    August 09, 2023, 03:13:48 AM
  • Inject OH 4: cc
    August 03, 2023, 09:51:36 PM
  • Finniespin: bb
    August 02, 2023, 06:12:50 PM
  • Inject OH 4: aa
    July 04, 2023, 10:29:35 PM
  • Shikaru: Been a very long time
    February 20, 2023, 05:42:04 PM
  • Shikaru: Oh wow my account is STILL active :)
    February 20, 2023, 05:42:00 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: yooo we got a lovense sponsor???
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:43 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: holy shit
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:24 PM
  • Napoleon BonaPARTY: oh wow its still here
    December 16, 2022, 03:45:21 PM
  • HailToTheKing: legends never die
    October 16, 2022, 01:28:09 PM
  • Live Bait: Oh wow. Still remember my old password.
    September 23, 2022, 08:37:38 AM
  • Mr_Rainbow: Still alive. Hope all is well with everyone this Christmas
    December 09, 2021, 03:31:04 AM
  • SlyWilliam: Much love, from our MC server to our ZPS server <3
    December 07, 2021, 10:23:37 PM
  • SlyWilliam: For the record, I don't REALLY remember all of you, but goddamn do I MISS all of you <3
    December 07, 2021, 10:23:10 PM
  • Pyro: parrot
    September 07, 2021, 05:23:18 AM
  • Inject OH 4: Do you mean for people that haven't come on in a long time and have to reagree?
    August 02, 2021, 11:39:42 PM
  • Inject OH 4: I'm not sure what you mean. Could you be more specific?
    August 02, 2021, 11:38:54 PM

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal